Faster way to concatenate files of same name in different directories
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
I'm trying to do exactly as in this post and used the accepted answer. My question is, is there a faster alternative? This has literally run for several hours and is still creating the new empty files. I have hundreds of files to concatenate. Thanks!
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/435794/create-new-concatenated-files-of-same-name-in-multiple-directories
Here's the code:
find . -type f -path "*/*/*/*/$name"
-exec cat + >"New_Dir/$name"
done < list_to_concat.txt
I've read on similar posts that a loop might be quicker, but not able to get that to work properly. I'm testing with echo here:
for i in */*/*/*/*.txt;
do echo find -name $i -exec bash -c cat $i >>
"New_Dir/$i"; done
linux performance find concatenation
add a comment |
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
I'm trying to do exactly as in this post and used the accepted answer. My question is, is there a faster alternative? This has literally run for several hours and is still creating the new empty files. I have hundreds of files to concatenate. Thanks!
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/435794/create-new-concatenated-files-of-same-name-in-multiple-directories
Here's the code:
find . -type f -path "*/*/*/*/$name"
-exec cat + >"New_Dir/$name"
done < list_to_concat.txt
I've read on similar posts that a loop might be quicker, but not able to get that to work properly. I'm testing with echo here:
for i in */*/*/*/*.txt;
do echo find -name $i -exec bash -c cat $i >>
"New_Dir/$i"; done
linux performance find concatenation
The down-vote to this questions would be helpful if explained why...
– NKN
Nov 11 at 21:54
I have up-voted it for neutralizing it.
– RavinderSingh13
Nov 21 at 2:59
add a comment |
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
up vote
0
down vote
favorite
I'm trying to do exactly as in this post and used the accepted answer. My question is, is there a faster alternative? This has literally run for several hours and is still creating the new empty files. I have hundreds of files to concatenate. Thanks!
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/435794/create-new-concatenated-files-of-same-name-in-multiple-directories
Here's the code:
find . -type f -path "*/*/*/*/$name"
-exec cat + >"New_Dir/$name"
done < list_to_concat.txt
I've read on similar posts that a loop might be quicker, but not able to get that to work properly. I'm testing with echo here:
for i in */*/*/*/*.txt;
do echo find -name $i -exec bash -c cat $i >>
"New_Dir/$i"; done
linux performance find concatenation
I'm trying to do exactly as in this post and used the accepted answer. My question is, is there a faster alternative? This has literally run for several hours and is still creating the new empty files. I have hundreds of files to concatenate. Thanks!
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/435794/create-new-concatenated-files-of-same-name-in-multiple-directories
Here's the code:
find . -type f -path "*/*/*/*/$name"
-exec cat + >"New_Dir/$name"
done < list_to_concat.txt
I've read on similar posts that a loop might be quicker, but not able to get that to work properly. I'm testing with echo here:
for i in */*/*/*/*.txt;
do echo find -name $i -exec bash -c cat $i >>
"New_Dir/$i"; done
linux performance find concatenation
linux performance find concatenation
edited Oct 17 at 19:00
asked Oct 17 at 13:15
NKN
305
305
The down-vote to this questions would be helpful if explained why...
– NKN
Nov 11 at 21:54
I have up-voted it for neutralizing it.
– RavinderSingh13
Nov 21 at 2:59
add a comment |
The down-vote to this questions would be helpful if explained why...
– NKN
Nov 11 at 21:54
I have up-voted it for neutralizing it.
– RavinderSingh13
Nov 21 at 2:59
The down-vote to this questions would be helpful if explained why...
– NKN
Nov 11 at 21:54
The down-vote to this questions would be helpful if explained why...
– NKN
Nov 11 at 21:54
I have up-voted it for neutralizing it.
– RavinderSingh13
Nov 21 at 2:59
I have up-voted it for neutralizing it.
– RavinderSingh13
Nov 21 at 2:59
add a comment |
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
In case this is useful to anyone else searching one day, I learned a much faster way to do this using xargs and ls:
while read -r name
do
ls */*/*/*/$name.txt | xargs cat > $name.combine
done <List_to_combine.txt
add a comment |
Your Answer
StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
StackExchange.snippets.init();
);
);
, "code-snippets");
StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "1"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);
StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);
else
createEditor();
);
function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);
);
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f52855811%2ffaster-way-to-concatenate-files-of-same-name-in-different-directories%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
1 Answer
1
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
active
oldest
votes
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
In case this is useful to anyone else searching one day, I learned a much faster way to do this using xargs and ls:
while read -r name
do
ls */*/*/*/$name.txt | xargs cat > $name.combine
done <List_to_combine.txt
add a comment |
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
In case this is useful to anyone else searching one day, I learned a much faster way to do this using xargs and ls:
while read -r name
do
ls */*/*/*/$name.txt | xargs cat > $name.combine
done <List_to_combine.txt
add a comment |
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
up vote
0
down vote
accepted
In case this is useful to anyone else searching one day, I learned a much faster way to do this using xargs and ls:
while read -r name
do
ls */*/*/*/$name.txt | xargs cat > $name.combine
done <List_to_combine.txt
In case this is useful to anyone else searching one day, I learned a much faster way to do this using xargs and ls:
while read -r name
do
ls */*/*/*/$name.txt | xargs cat > $name.combine
done <List_to_combine.txt
answered Nov 11 at 21:53
NKN
305
305
add a comment |
add a comment |
Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!
- Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!
But avoid …
- Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.
- Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.
To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.
Some of your past answers have not been well-received, and you're in danger of being blocked from answering.
Please pay close attention to the following guidance:
- Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!
But avoid …
- Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.
- Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.
To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f52855811%2ffaster-way-to-concatenate-files-of-same-name-in-different-directories%23new-answer', 'question_page');
);
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Sign up or log in
StackExchange.ready(function ()
StackExchange.helpers.onClickDraftSave('#login-link');
);
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Sign up using Google
Sign up using Facebook
Sign up using Email and Password
Post as a guest
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
Required, but never shown
The down-vote to this questions would be helpful if explained why...
– NKN
Nov 11 at 21:54
I have up-voted it for neutralizing it.
– RavinderSingh13
Nov 21 at 2:59